So I started looking at themes both free and premium here on wordpress. I decided for the cost to upgrade to premium and here’s the rub. None of the so-called premium themes suit me as much as the free theme I am using now. Is it just me or is there really nothing in either the free or premium category that is useful? I don’t think I have a high level of requirement or design need. What I want:
- a suitable theme to publish photographs on accompanied by text. Primarily I use the google media importer and build a collage of images or I create single images at a time.
- a theme that lets me have a sidebar on the right and not the bottom. Only a few do this but claim its for presentation of the material.
- the ability to rotate the header image and add more images to rotate. Many of the so-called premium themes do not do this at all but the free themes do.
- not using the “read more” attribute. I prefer to have my content shown in all their glory without more clicking.
- menu items for pages I create that makes sense. Why do some themes insist on having the menu items for -> HOME and -> ABOUT listed twice? I can see no way of getting rid of the second listing.
- the ability to not have my widgets show up on my -> ABOUT page at all. I don’t like widgets on the sub pages.
So, this gets me to what I don’t like about the wordpress.com experience. I don’t particularly care for having no alternatives to just add storage instead of paying for the premium themes that I cannot really use. There is no real choice with either the free or premium themes I can see. I can go with either but when I end up just going back to the free theme i use now; its worth is debatable. I can see why Mikka also asks on his blog about a theme to use. I’m sorry wordpress.com team. None of the premium themes add value besides obtuse menu items that I doubt the value of.
I have paid for the premium account when all I want is more storage yet there is no way to do that only and I must add premium features which end up not being used at all.
Today I wandered around for a few hours taking shots of the lake and the city. I really like taking the Fuji with me here. Street and urban photo opportunities kinda line up waiting for me.
I did notice that while I am on 4g I cannot bring up wordpress.com or my blog but yet on wireless in my room I can. That’s kinda weird. Not sure why the mobile providers have a problem with wordpress.com sites.
Here’s some stuff I saw in-between trying out many and sundry themes in my hotel room.
There you have a day spent in the service of wandering. I will be going out walking each day because my body demands it. I have to put in around 9000 to 15000 steps or I feel very uncomfortable. I cannot see it being an issue here.
Visa Run in June
Yes friends, a Visa run is required in June. I must exit Vietnam and then re-enter. I could just duck out to Bangkok but instead I will go to Hong Kong for a few days and spend the time there. I’ll be booking that travel and hotel soon so I don’t have to pay more for the airfare than i want.
As I pointed out previously, you may want to check if you have a Visa on arrival here. Most require that I am told.
Bye for now from your slightly frustrated and getting hungry blogospondent.