First day in Kuala Lumpur

Made it last night to KL via the goodness of a 50 minute flight on AirAsia and then a ride on the KLIA Ekspres which is a nice airport to KL Sentral service. It takes 30 minutes or so to transit to downtown and there are no stops after the airport. After settling at my hotel stay for the next 23 days, I wandered out in search of food and beer refreshment. I found a nice street cafe where the curry pork and rice was spot on and the cold Tiger Beer flowed. Ended up back at the hotel with the TV going and a few more beers reading news and writing a bit. Now its my first real day and after some relaxation in the hotel room I’ll find a local coffee zone and get to walking in some direction with the camera.

I have nothing but good stuff to say about the whole customs and immigration process at the airport and getting the required SIM card was quite fast. Both took about 20 minutes to get done and my passport was stamped with a 90 day stamp to visit Malaysia and the 4g SIM card good for a month and hopefully sufficient GB of data. 

Today I have to find a few necessary things like laundry service, a small market (like next door) to find toiletry items like bar soap, shampoo, tooth brush and toothpaste. Should be pretty easy here. I had no real worries about finding food places here since food is basically in front of the hotel at street food stalls if I want. I honestly prefer a place to sit down since its a nice bit of doing nothing to sit and watch the people with a iced coffee or beer in the evenings. 

So now its just the first morning of the first of 23 days in Kuala Lumpur and I’m excited to be in the second country of this vagabonding. Prices here are decent for things. Not cheap like Cambodia or Vietnam but I never have had problems with any of the costs including Singapore since the place I lived there had bunches of food courts and little restaurants that served up cheap food choices.

So in a bit off for coffee and maybe some pastry item but no real rush this morning. The hotel room has coffee I can make in the room so I never feel I am rushed to get to a place or do a thing when I have almost a month to see a city. 

I also still have to book the bus to Malacca on 20 February. There’s a few apps for that! The buses leave almost every hour from some bus stop in the city so I will have to find my way to the bus stop in a Grab and then take the hour ride. I think Malacca is gonna be really cool. Been reading some of its history and how it has related to Singapore in its history. Very cool stuff. After Malacca a bus trip back to KL then on to Port Dickson for two weeks. Then finally to Penang for a month and I’ll fly on to Thailand for two months.

First off though is the morning relaxation with nothing to really do and hours to do it in. Retirement is tough folks.

Author: Michael Perry

I've been blogging for over 20 years and now am living in Southeast Asia. The blog is about my slow vagabonding wherever I want to go. My home base is in Cambodia but I'm rarely there.